Even though being originally created for athletes, the warmers became a way to keep your legs warm while wearing your favorite outfit. They are traditionally used by dancers to prevent their lower legs from any harm or injury. They have been a popular fashion accessory since the 1980s. They can be found in many different styles and material but basically they look like a pair of long socks without the feet. Moreover, Leg warmers are knit from various materials like cotton, silk or nylon. A variety in lengths is also available ranging from covering just the ankles to reaching some inches above the knees.
Purpose of leg warmers –
- For babies – A lot of parents prefer using these while diapering their babies. Also, to prevent scratches on knees of crawling babies these warmers can be used. They are usually available in soft woolen materials which don’t make your little ones uncomfortable.
- For your children – Kids’ leg warmers are the best way to prevent their legs from the freezing cold. Other than this, they can also be used for athletic purposes or while riding a bicycle. If your kids attend dance classes, they surely require these warmers more than any other accessory. You can find a variety of patterns ranging from stripes to polka dots to your kid’s favorite animated character as well.
- Fashion accessory – You can use them to team it up with your favorite pair of skinny jeans. Wear them under your boots or over them. Not only do they provide great comfort and warmth but they go well with almost anything. You can wear them with a skirt that is little on a short side to make them look modest. To create a more hipster look, pair them with your old-school sneakers. These are few of the many ways to rock your leg warmers.
How to buy leg warmers –
- Measure your legs – Before you spend your money on buying one of these warmers, you need to be sure about the length of your legs. Of course, these are made up of a stretchy material but this doesn’t mean that it would fit everyone properly. They need to fit snuggly and should not slouch.
- Coordinate with an outfit – If you need one for a particular outfit, you will have to look for the perfect color or pattern that you require. This is one reason why you need to research well before you go ahead.
- Try multiple stores – Search online retail stores or your local super markets to see what is in trend with these warmers.
These can be a great addition to anybody’s wardrobe and a great way to keep the muscles warm to avoid cramps or strain which lead to injury. To the dancers, they have always had a specific purpose and always will. But to the rest of the people, they appeal mostly as a great fashion statement. Trends in fashion come and go and the leg warmers trend has definitely made a comeback.